Have you ever been in a place where you surrendered to the Lord and it seemed so hard to stop doing the things that are not pleasing in His eyes? Then you began to make excuses saying: “God understands. He knows my heart. I’m trying.”
He understands? Yes, God does understands.
Here’s what He understands:
- God understands we were born in sin. (Psalms 51:5)
- God understands our spirit desires to do His will and please Him but our flesh is weak. (Matthew 26:41)
- God understands there will be temptation but God also understands He made a way to escape. (I. Corinthians 10:13)
- God understands that we cannot change without His Spirit leading and guiding us (John 16:13)
- God understands sin has a power, which is why grace was given. (Romans 6:14)
Here is what God does NOT understand (imagine Him speaking):
- Why would you choose EVERYTHING else other than the sacrifice (Jesus) I made for you?
- Why would you intentionally hurt the very one who always comes through for you (Me) only to need my help in the end?
- Why do you believe everything everyone else says, but you struggle with believing in me?
- Why are you so careful not to offend others and yet you offend me daily?
Remember the time your child got a bit sarcastic with you because you wouldn’t allow him to take the electronic game with him, and then, you so lovingly reminded him of whose funds were used to make the purchase for his happiness?
- Need God to remind us that Jesus did not have to die…at all?
- Need Him to remind us that Jesus left Heaven, just to get us there, for our eternal happiness?
- Need God to remind us that the ONLY reason He did all of this, as a parent never loses love for its child, and although we defame His name, bring shame and place it directly in His face…our Father…My Father…simply loves us.
“This is real love—not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as a sacrifice to take away our sins.” 1 John 4:10 NLT
What does all of this mean? God has standards. Yes He loves us, made us in His image, gave His Son for us, sent His own Spirit to keep us. BUT…God already told us what is required of us as His children. He will not change His word to justify wrongdoing. Let me make this more clear.
There is a schedule that children follow for school. Every class occurs at a specific time. There is a time school begins. There is a time when school ends. There is an appointed time for lunch. There is an appointed time for recess. The administrators of the school are not going to delay the start time just because the parents woke up late, the buses are late or your car broke down. There is also a specific curriculum that has to be followed and each student must know the information being taught before graduating to the next grade level. A student will not graduate without meeting the requirements of each grade level. If the world has standards and ordinances why wouldn’t the Lord? God WILL NOT CHANGE!
God is not a man, so he does not lie. He is not human, so he does not change his mind. Has he ever spoken and failed to act? Has he ever promised and not carried it through? (Numbers 23:19 NLT)
There’s no excuse for sin. Here is the real issue: Sin has a power. It was demonstrated to us in Luke the 4th chapter. Jesus was able to defeat the power of sin by living the words of God and reminding Satan of what His Father said. Then the Angels came and ministered to our Lord so that He could receive strength. Here is where we get off track.
When we are led into temptation, (whether we place ourselves there or we are tested) we do not resort to Holy Spirit. Therefore, the Spirit cannot come and minister to us and strengthen us because we did not rely upon Him for strength initially. Pretty soon, the power that sin has, begins to control us. We felt that we were strong enough to break away but if we were THAT strong, why are we still struggling with separating ourselves from death? I do not know how I can strongly express this through verbiage other than capitalization:
THERE. IS. NO. OTHER. BOOK. WRITTEN. ON. THIS. EARTH. WHERE. ONE. RECEIVES. POWER. FROM. THE. WORDS. SPOKEN. IN. AND. THROUGH. A. BOOK. All scripture was given by the Holy Spirit. And the Holy Spirit represents POWER.
“Above all, you must realize that no prophecy in Scripture ever came from the prophet’s own understanding, or from human initiative. No, those prophets were moved by the Holy Spirit, and they spoke from God.” 2 Peter 1:20-21 NLT
So then we can conclude that the Bible is not JUST a book but a physical representation of the Holy Spirit and the Spirit represents power. Why would Jesus tell His disciples to wait until they were endowed with power from on high if there was no power able to keep them?
In conclusion, yes God understands. He understands that you have decided to conform to the world when He said separate.
When will you understand that grace is not an excuse to sin?
When will you understand that the POWER of God supercedes any power in existence and He gave that power to us? God fully understands, it is His children that lack a full understanding of who He really is!
“Wisdom is the principal thing; Therefore get wisdom. And in all your getting, get understanding.” Proverbs 4:7 NKJV